With spring approaching, it is time once again to think about planting and gardening. Knowing the average last frost date gives gardeners the opportunity to make specific plans for planting both hardy and tender plants in the garden.
Monthly Association Meetings take place regularly on the third Thursday of every month except December. Meetings are open to the public. For information about upcoming meeting agendas and presenters email or call
President: Owen Parry
firstname.lastname@example.org 801-867-7778 Or Public Relations: Denise Hunsaker
The typical meeting includes presentations on:
- “A Month In Beekeeping,” outlining what beekeepers should be doing with their hives in the coming month
- Beekeeping practices and strategies ranging from hive inspections to candle-making, by experienced WBA members and outside sources
- the latest research in beekeeping from visiting faculty who are experts in honeybee science
Social Hour – 6:15 – 7:00 pm | Meeting – 7:00 – 9:00 pm
Meetings are held at:
Salt Lake County Government Complex, in the South Building room S1007
This month we will be talking about winterizing your hives. Mike Adams, owner, of Wasatch Wood Works, will be showing us what a candy board is and why you might need one on your hive to supplement their food.
Joey Caputo, from the Utah Department of Agriculture, will be there to review some of the nasty things that affect your bees during the winter.
Owen Parry, President of the WBA will be explaining what you need to do to get your hives ready for winter.
After the meeting, there will be a seed exchange for those that are interested.
Meeting will take place at 2001 S. State in the North Building the Council Chambers.
**Remember there is the Candy Board workshop this weekend. Oct 22nd from 10-4pm & Oct 23rd 10-2pm. Click Here to get details on the workshop.
We have a special guest speaker, Ary Faraji, Ph.D., from Mosquitos Abatement Department who will be explaining what they do and how it is related to your honey bees. Prenten Frazier will be showing how to harvest honey. Please join us to learn more about mosquito abatement and get ideas about harvesting honey!
Room N2-800 Salt Lake County Government campus, 2001 South State Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84190
Small change in the Saturday schedule due to unforeseen changes in people’s schedules.
The Apiary Visit will now take place prior to the BBQ.
–Chad Hosler will host an apiary visit in the Glendale area (neighborhood house) 1050 W. 500 S., SLC.
–Please be prompt and wear your bee suit. We will be demonstrating a mite count with an alcohol wash.
Annual WBA BBQ will be held on Saturday, June 18, 2016 from 2:00pm-4:00pm at Jordan Park pavilion east. (1060 S 900 W, Salt Lake City, UT 84104)
—BBQ will start at 2:00pm
—Bring a side dish and your beverages. The club is supplying the meat. This is a family friendly, social event, and auction. Please bring one item to auction off and funds to buy an item.
Hope you can join us!
Guest Speaker: Ary Faraji Ph.D. from the Salt Lake City Mosquito Abatement District. This is an excellent lesson for all beekeepers.
James Peirce, Program Director: Open discussion on what is going on in your hive this time of year, what the beekeepers should be doing and what they should be looking for.
Salt Lake County Government campus, 2001 South State Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84190 in room N2-800
Here is the mite count calculator that Randy Oliver uses in his presentations.
The link below will download the excel file for you to use the estimator.
Tips on how to keep your bees happy. Tricks on having beautiful honey.
Іntеrеѕtіng fасtѕ аbоut hоnеу аnd hоnеу bееs:
– Тhе hоnеу bее іѕ thе оnlу іnѕесt thаt рrоduсеѕ fооd еаtеn bу mаn.
– Тhе аvеrаgе wоrkеr bее рrоduсеѕ аbоut 1/12th tеаѕрооn оf hоnеу іn hеr lіfеtіmе.
– Тwо tаblеѕрооnѕ оf hоnеу wоuld fuеl а hоnеу bее flуіng оnсе аrоund thе wоrld.
– Вееѕwах рrоduсtіоn іn mоѕt hіvеѕ іѕ оnlу аbоut 1.5% tо 2.0% оf thе hоnеу уіеld.
– А соlоnу оf bееѕ саn соntаіn bеtwееn 20,000 аnd 60,000 bееѕ, but оnlу оnе quееn bее
– 99% оf thе bее соlоnу іѕ mаdе uр оf fеmаlе bееѕ knоwn аѕ wоrkеr bееѕ.
– Іt іѕ еѕtіmаtеd thаt 1100 hоnеу bее ѕtіngѕ аrе rеquіrеd tо bе fаtаl.
– Маlе bееѕ аrе саllеd “Drоnеѕ” аnd thеу dо nоt hаvе ѕtіngеrѕ, thеіr оnlу рurроѕе іѕ tо mаtе wіth thе quееn bее.
– Ноnеу bееѕ nеvеr ѕlеер, аnd thеу соmmunісаtе wіth еасh оthеr bу dаnсіng аnd bу uѕіng рhеrоmоnеѕ.